November 4, 2013

Favorite Fall Sweater!

Halloween is a milestone in fall. Usually by Halloween it's consistently chilly, a lot of trees are bare, and hooray it's always sweater weather! This fall has been a little wishy-washy though. One day it's a brisk 40 degrees, the next it's 65 and humid. But now after Halloween, for which your faithful blogger sported a beard, it seems like sweater season is staying. This post is devoted to the ultimate reason for knitting, the one piece of knitwear that everyone can relate to, loves, and covets: The Fall Sweater.


My favorite fall sweater is Joji's Tourist, in the same mustardy yellow she originally made. I think it's a color that could go horribly wrong on me, but it's so perfect for fall I had to try it out. And after making Helene, I wanted a break from lace.  A simple pattern using a warm, worsted merino wool really resonated with me. This was my first time using merino wool, and I fell in love at first touch. Hmm...that sounds kind of weird. But it's just so soft: how could I not nuzzle it? Ok, not any less weird.
Snuggles!
I almost wish this pattern gave me more trouble, or some knitting epiphany so I would have some more amusing anecdotes to write about. But this pattern was smoothing sailing from cast on to bind off, and it knit up quickly. The ribbed collar and buttoned pocket lend it an elegant style, but in essence it's a simple raglan in stockinette stitch.
Pocket for increased coziness.  Oh and storing stuff, I guess. 
What makes this the ultimate fall sweater? It's got a big pocket to stuff my hands into on colder days. It's got a collar for ultimate snuggles. It's super soft. It's got a little positive ease for enhanced coziness. And for the cherry on top, the color is perfect for fall. And that's my Fall Sweater: simple, cozy, and stylish.  What's your favorite fall sweater?
Oh hi! I couldn't see you over there because I need a haircut!

No comments:

Post a Comment